Laptop overheats, starts fire that destroys west St. Louis Count - KMOV.com

Laptop overheats, starts fire that destroys west St. Louis County home

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

(KMOV) – Fire officials confirmed on Wednesday that a laptop is to blame for a blaze that caused significant damage to a west St. Louis County home Tuesday night.

The computer apparently overheated, and the victims that lived in the home say the laptop got too hot and set a bedroom on fire.

The family that lived in the home in the 300 block of Windyoak Drive is now staying at a hotel in Chesterfield because the fire damaged the home so severely.

Michelle Xiao describes the incident as a “bad dream.” Her 15-year-old daughter describes the shocking scene as a laptop gone haywire.

I was sitting on my bed and I was doing homework and I heard a popping noise and then sparks came from the ground and the computer blackened the carpet and I ran outside and told my mom,” says 15-year-old Connie Shen.


Connie, her mom and her 13-month-old brother got out of the house safely. Fire investigators say they believe the problem may have been the computer’s lithium battery that overheated. They say they’ve never seen a case like this before.

Storing the computer away from carpets and bedding is the best advice in preventing similar situations, officials say.

Powered by Frankly