Basil and Prosciutto Wrapped Scampi
8 jumbo shrimp, 8 – 10 per pound, peeled and deveined
6 T dry white wine
4 T olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
3 – 4 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced
8 fresh basil leaves
1 ½ tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
1 - 2 lemons
1. Wash shrimp and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Combine wine, olive oil, garlic, and red pepper in a medium size bowl.
3. Add shrimp and marinade for one hour at room temperature, or several hours in the refrigerator.
4. Trim excess fat from prosciutto and cut 12 strips, each approximately 1 by 4 inches.
5. Prepare a shallow baking dish by coating lightly with olive oil.
6. Remove shrimp from marinade. Reserve marinade.
7. Place one strip of prosciutto on a work surface. Place a basil leaf at the edge of the prosciutto and top with a shrimp. Wrap the basil and prosciutto around a shrimp, tucking the edge of the prosciutto under the shrimp. Transfer the wrapped shrimp to the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
8. Pour ¾ cup of reserved marinade evenly over the shrimp.
9. Broil shrimp about 6 inches from the heat source until prosciutto begins to crisp and the shrimp are cooked through, about 6 minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
10. Sprinkle cooked shrimp with parsley and the juice of one lemon. Serve with additional lemon wedges.