Local student diagnosed with dangerous strain of meningitis - KMOV.com

Local student diagnosed with dangerous strain of meningitis

 (KMOV)—One student at Alton High School in Illinois was diagnosed with a very dangerous strain of meningitis over the Thanksgiving weekend, but no other students have been affected so far.

 According to the Madison County Health Department, a male student was admitted to a local hospital and later diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.  Bacterial meningitis can be quite severe and may result in brain damage, hearing loss or learning disabilities. It is spread from person to person through the exchange of respiratory and throat secretions such as kissing, sneezing, and sharing the same drinking glass.

 The student was home on Thanksgiving break so the only ones that could have been affected were relatives and friends who were treated with antibiotics as a precaution.

 No other students at the school have shown any symptoms, but parents were made aware of the this student’s diagnosis.  The school's nurse assured parents that health officials do not believe anyone at the school had been at risk of exposure.

Powered by Frankly