West Virgina city wasn't told about system's installation - KMOV.com

West Virgina city wasn't told about system's installation

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- South Charleston's mayor says a ventilation system at a hotel that leaked deadly carbon monoxide poisoning wasn't inspected because the city didn't know it had been installed.

Mayor Frank Mullens tells the Charleston Daily Mail the city was never informed of the work. He says there's no record of a licensed contractor getting a permit to install the system.

The leak Tuesday killed a Rhode Island construction worker and sickened others at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites.

Officials say a pipe attached to a heating unit on the hotel's indoor pool came apart, allowing deadly carbon monoxide fumes to escape.

Powered by Frankly