ST. LOUIS (KMOV) -- Fire gutted the second story of a home in the 4300 block of Arco Avenue in south St. Louis on Tuesday evening.
No one was hurt, but a witness reported watching firefighters struggle to open hydrants on the street.
Captain Paul Weil with the St. Louis Fire Department said he was not sure whether the first responders had trouble with the hydrants, but acknowledged that some are difficult to open due to age and rust.
"Occasionally that does happen. We'll run into a bad hydrant, but all these trucks carry their own water," said Weil.
The fire department says the trucks carry around 400 gallons.
The son of the home owner said that he was not home when the fire broke out. Michael Smith says three people live in the house.
Firefighters said the fire was likely caused by a faulty extension cord.