Dellwood house explosion blows out windows, sparks fire - KMOV.com

Dellwood house explosion blows out windows, sparks fire

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

DELLWOOD, Mo. (KMOV) – Officials are investigating a house explosion that happened Monday night in Dellwood that was reportedly caused by natural gas.

Officials say the explosion blew out windows and caused a fire in the basement of an unoccupied home in the 1600 block of Keelen shortly after 8:30 p.m.

Police, fire and gas crews were on the scene to handle the aftermath of the explosion. Authorities say copper tubing to the water line was stolen some time ago, and crews had been doing ongoing repairs. The explosion happened after the gas line cap apparently came off and the home was filled with natural gas. Either the flame on the water heater or the electric to the air conditioning sparked the fire.

The explosion was so strong that bricks were blown from the home.

Officials ventilated the home after the explosion. None of the neighboring homes were affected, and no injuries were reported.

Powered by Frankly