Couple injured in south St. Louis house fire - KMOV.com

Couple injured in south St. Louis house fire

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

ST. LOUIS (KMOV) – A south St. Louis couple is hospitalized after a fire destroyed their home around 5 p.m. on Wednesday.

Firefighters believe a candle set the drapes on fire at the house, located in the 5000 block of Miami near the corner of Hereford.

A man suffered burns while trying to put out the flames and a woman was cut while jumping out of a window.

Investigators say there was no electricity to the house and the couple was using a kerosene heater for warmth and cooking.

"I think that's what accelerated the fire," St. Louis Fire Battalion Chief Ken Smith, said.  "Because, you know, we had heavy, heavy fire and our response time was very quick, so to have that amount of fire and that hot, it was definitely accelerated by something and like I said there was kerosene in the basement -- a kerosene heater."

Powered by Frankly