Police: Wentzville church shooting was an accident - KMOV.com

Police: Wentzville church shooting was an accident

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

(KMOV)—Detectives now believe a shooting inside St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Wentzville, where one man was shot, was unintentional and the shooter came forward Sunday morning.

One person turn themselves into Wentzville police after reportedly seeing news coverage on the shooting.

Detectives with the Wentzville Police Department have determined the shooting was tragically unintentional after meeting with the person who came forward as well as several others involved.

At 11:22 p.m. on Saturday night officers responded to the St. Patrick Catholic Church after 23-year-old Aaron Dwan was shot.

According to reports, a trivia night fundraiser for a cancer patient was wrapping up with approximately 165 people left cleaning up, moving chairs and clearing the tables. "As things were winding down some balloons were being popped and during the popping of the balloons there was a pop that was unrecognizable and there was a victim of a gunshot," said Wentzville Police Chief Lisa Harrison.

Dwan was simultaneously shot as people were popping balloons to throw away. Once he realized it, he fell to the ground. The condition of Dwan is unknown at this time.



Police arrived on scene and officers did not allow anyone else to leave the premises.  The remaining people were moved to the sanctuary and the room where the shooting had occurred was cordoned off.

Each person and their belongings were searched for weapons and other evidence and each person gave a written statement about what they had seen and heard. As people left the building, officers escorted them to their vehicles and the vehicles were searched for evidence as well.

Officers searched the entire building and its surroundings Saturday night and again on Sunday morning in search of evidence.

This process was completed around 3:45 a.m. on Sunday.

Several other departments assisted with this search and investigation; O’Fallon, Cottleville, Lake St. Louis, St. Charles County, Foristell, and New Melle Police Departments.

An investigative summary will be presented to the St Charles County Prosecutor’s office Monday by lead Detective Thurman for an evaluation and determination on charges.  Information related to the citizen who presented to the WPD, will be released by the prosecutor’s office if they determine that the person will be charged.

Powered by Frankly