8 Children escape injury during North County house fire - KMOV.com

8 Children escape injury during North County house fire

(KMOV.com) -- Eight people got out of their north St. Louis County home safely after a fire started just after 5:00 Monday morning.
 
According to reports, the fire started at the home in the 2100 block of Oakdale in the Hillsdale, Missouri neighborhood.  Fire officials said eight people, ranging from age 16 to infant, were in the home when the fire broke out.  The 16-year-old resident got all of the other children out of the home safely.  Firefighters also rescued two pet dogs from the home.
 
Firefighter said flames had fully engulfed the home by the time they arrived on the scene.  It took crews about 25 minutes to get control of the fire, but the home suffered extensive damage and is said to be unlivable.
 
Investigators determined that the fire started on the second floor of the home and was caused by a space heater.  The mother, who was at work when the fire started, said the family uses space heaters as their main source of heat.
 
The family of 9 will be staying with relatives for now.  The Red Cross has also been called to assist.
 
 

 

Powered by Frankly