Teen shot after fight breaks out at alcohol-free party on Washin - KMOV.com

Teen shot after fight breaks out at alcohol-free party on Washington Ave.

Posted: Updated:
By Dan Mueller By Dan Mueller

ST. LOUIS -- (KMOV) -- A 19-year-old man was grazed by a bullet after a fight broke out on Washington Avenue Saturday night.

Police said the fight started during a party held at a club in the 1200 block of Washington Avenue around 10:30 p.m. The site used to be Club Amnesia, but that has since closed.

According to the sister of the building’s landlord, Sonja Branscomb, the party was organized by few adults, including a teacher at a St. Louis charter school, who wanted to hold a safe event for local high schoolers to attend.

“A business owner from a recent business on the other side had came to me and just said she wanted to have a private party for some high school students,” said Branscomb.

She said the plan was to hold three private parties in the location of a former nightclub. Only those 18 and younger were allowed inside. The site of the teen party used to be home to Club Lure, which was later renamed Club Amnesia and tied to violence on Washington Avenue.

Branscomb told News 4 there were about 350 people in attendance, and 15 people were hired to work security.

According to Branscomb, at some point in the night an argument broke out between the older brother of a teen attending the party and someone else. No one involved in the incident ever attended the party, according Branscomb.

“The gentleman this happened to, he never even got in the club. You know he was dropping his brother off and whatever happened was something that happened between him and some other people,” said Branscomb.

But according to the initial police report, the party ended after security guards asked the victim and a 17-year-old man to leave.

Police said at one point those two returned to their vehicle.

According to police, they were stopped at a red light at the intersection of Locust and North Tucker when several gunshots were fired at their car.

One of the bullets grazed the victim’s head. He was transported to the hospital in stable condition.

The suspect is described as a 16- to 18-year-old male.

Authorities say they have not made any arrests in the case.

Of the three parties planned, the first was held after Thanksgiving without a problem. Saturday’s was the second and the third has been cancelled.


Powered by Frankly