Officer dragged, suspect shot during wild pursuit through St. Lo -

Officer dragged, suspect shot during wild pursuit through St. Louis area

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By Brendan Marks By Brendan Marks
By Brendan Marks By Brendan Marks
By Brendan Marks By Brendan Marks
By Brendan Marks By Brendan Marks

FRANKLIN COUNTY, Mo. ( – A Franklin County police officer was hospitalized and a suspect was shot during a lengthy pursuit which involved several police departments Thursday.

According to reports, Franklin County Officers spotted Timothy J. Kalter, 31, at a Phillips 66 gas station around 3 p.m. in Villa Ridge. Police say they had been actively searching for Kalter for two weeks. Authorities believe Kalter has been involved in several crimes since his release from prison on November 15.

During the two-week search, several attempts were made to conduct traffic stops on Kalter as he traveled through Franklin County.

As a result, Kalter and police were involved in several pursuits that exceeded 100 MPH. Authorities made the decision to discontinue the chases involving Kalter because of safety concerns.

On Thursday, Kalter apparently stole another vehicle after meeting up with a woman who put her Ford Mustang for sale on Craigslist.

According to police, the victim said she received a phone call on Thursday from a man claiming to be named “Chris.” According to police, she agreed to meet him outside the Kohls in the 900 block of Woodcrest Executive Drive for a test drive.

The victim said she drove to the lot with her boyfriend and when she arrived, Kalter was leaning against a white Ford Explorer, which authorities later said were stolen.

The victim agreed to let Kalter take the car for a test drive around the parking lot. Kalter then threw his keys on the hood of the Explorer and said, “My keys are on the hood right there.”

According to the victim, Kalter got in the car, left the parking lot and did not return.

Victim agreed to let the suspect test drive the vehicle around the parking lot adding that the suspect threw his keys on the hood of the Explorer and stated, “My keys are on the hood right there.”  Victim stated the suspect then exited the parking lot and did not return. 

Later that day, officers made another attempt at taking Kalter into custody, but he fled police. Kalter was then spotted at a Burger King Restaurant near Highway AT and Highway 100.

A Franklin County deputy attempted to apprehend him, and it appeared the pursuit would be over.  Kalter instead jumped in the car, and fired up the engine.

When the officer attempted to reach in the car to turn the engine off, Kalter pressed down on the accelerator, dragging the officer along. The officer then drew his weapon and began to fire.

At some point, the officer was thrown off the moving car. The officer eventually shot the suspect in the arm and torso.

According to authorities, the officer was taken to a nearby hospital with minor injuries.  He was later released.

Kalter fled on Interstate 44 toward St. Louis County, temporarily losing police.

Coleman Elementary, located near the scene of the shooting, was loading their students onto buses to go home. Police contacted the school, and warned them to keep their students indoors.

Once the suspect escaped onto I-44, all five schools in the Meramec Valley School District called their buses back to the school, unloaded the children and kept the buildings on lockdown.

In the brief time the officers lost sight of Kalter, he reportedly picked up a female passenger. Her relationship to the him was unknown. He was later spotted with her at a Eureka gas station. Police say she was transporting Kalter to the hospital.

The pursuit ended on westbound I-44 near Pacific after Kalter and the woman he was with surrendered.

Kalter was taken to Mercy Hospital in Washington and then to Mercy Hospital in Creve Coeur. Police say his condition is currently unknown.

Charges were expected to be filed upon his release.

Powered by Frankly