Five dead, man in custody following North Texas shooting spree -

Five dead, man in custody following North Texas shooting spree

TERRELL, Texas — An overnight manhunt in Kaufman County led to the arrest of a 36-year-old Terrell man after five people were found killed at four separate locations in Monday.

Charles Everett Brownlow Jr. was arrested following a car chase with police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers. The chase began Monday night and went into the early morning hours Tuesday. At about 1:30 a.m., the chase ended when Brownlow crashed his car on College Mound Road and fled into a wooded area south of U.S. 80, where he was later apprehended.

"We're all in a state of shock," said Terrell police Chief Jody Lay. "This is going to have a big impact on us."

Authorities found the first victim at about 5 p.m., which is when they received a report of a shooting in the 300 block of Tyler St. Upon arriving at the scene, police found the body of a woman with a bullet wound to the head.

About 30 minutes later and only a few blocks away from the first crime scene, a Terrell firefighter spotted a house ablaze in the 300 block of Stalling St. As firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, the body of another woman was found inside the residence. Authorities said the fire was a clear case of arson and noted Brownlow — who lives at the home — was missing from the residence, along with a 2002 white Ford Focus.

Terrell police said they quickly linked the two crime scenes and began a search for both Brownlow and the missing vehicle.

It was hours before they received their next call at about 10 p.m., which is when a 911 caller reported numerous shots fired in the 800 block of North Francis St. No one was injured at that address.

Then, at 10:27 p.m., police found a man and woman dead at another residence in the 800 block of Eulalia Dr. A three-year-old child was found uninjured in a bed inside the home.

Ten minutes later, an officer spotted the Ford Focus at a convenience store in the 700 block of W. Moore Ave. At the scene, the officer spotted the suspect and found a deceased victim. Police said Brownlow made an escape as the officer called in an alert.

The suspect fled the scene by car and led police on a chase through several neighborhoods before the vehicle wrecked on College Mound Road, which dead ends. Police said Brownlow fled on foot into an area with heavy brush.

At about 1:30 a.m., a helicopter spotted Brownlow hiding in a creek near Gardner Street and Canton, where he was taken into custody.

No names were released and the motive for the crimes was under investigation.

Clarence Graham said one of the victims is his first cousin.

"I'm still in shock about it," he said. "I've got to let it soak in. I don't know. It's something that's hard to deal with."

Denise Fields, who lives in the neighborhood where the first two bodies were found, was trying to absorb the tragedy on Monday night.

"This is a good community, and we don't know what happened and what triggered it all," she said. "It's something that God is going to have to handle."

Terrell is 30 miles east of Dallas.

Powered by Frankly