(KMOV) -- A family of nine is safe, but their home was destroyed after it caught fire early Tuesday morning in East Alton.
According to fire officials, the fire started at a home in the 1400 block of East Alton Avenue around 12:30 a.m. Three surrounding departments were called to the scene to combat the flames.
Fire officials believe a child playing with a candle started the fire. Officials said an adult male noticed a mattress on fire and tried to pull it outside when it spread. By the time fire crews arrive on scene, three adults and six children were outside the home. Nobody was injured in the fire.
The home is about 40% damaged and is considered to be unlivable.
The family was put in touch with the Red Cross.