Metro-East man pleads guilty to drug and gun offenses -

Metro-East man pleads guilty to drug and gun offenses

( -- An East St. Louis man pleaded guilty in federal court on Monday to multiple charges including unlawful weapon possession.

The following information is from a news release from the Department of Justice of Southern Illinois:

An East St. Louis man pled guilty to a two-count Indictment charging him, in Count 1, with Possession With the Intent to Distribute Marihuana, and, in Count 2, with the Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Previously Convicted Felon, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, Stephen R. Wigginton,
announced today.

At his sentencing, Terrell M. Akins, 32, of East St. Louis, faces a term of imprisonment on Count 1, increased because of a prior felony drug conviction, of not more ten (10) years, a $500,000 fine, or both, and a term of supervised release of at least (4) years. On Count 2, Akins faces a term of imprisonment of not more than 10 years, a fine up to $250,000, or both, and not more than 3 years’ supervised release. Akins also agreed to the forfeiture of the gun that he illegally possessed.

Sentencing is scheduled for January 6, 2012, in East St. Louis, Illinois.  The violations occurred on February 26, 2010, when Metropolitan Enforcement Group of Southwestern Illinois (MEGSI) agents made a controlled delivery of a package that originally contained marihuana to Akins’ residence. The package contained an alarm that would sound when it was opened.

After the alarm sounded, the agents executed a search warrant. During the search, agents recovered a loaded gun in Akins’ bedroom, as well as two digital scales.

In a voluntary interview, Akins admitted that he was supposed to received a package of marihuana from Las Vegas, and that he was to give the package to another individual. Akins said that this individual was going to pay Akins cash and give Akins some marihuana in return for Akins having the package delivered to his home. Finally, Akins said that he had the gun for protection, and acknowledged knowing that he could not possess a firearm because he was a felon.

The case was investigated by the Metropolitan Enforcement Group of Southwestern Illinois
(MEGSI) and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The case is assigned to
Assistant United States Attorney Angela Scott.

Powered by Frankly