Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1.WHAT OBAMA HAS TO SAY ABOUT THE PETRAEUS SCANDAL
The president will hold a news conference at 1:30 p.m., but it’s not clear if he’ll address whether national security had been threatened.
2. THE WOMAN IN THE EYE OF THE STORM
Florida socialite Jill Kelley wonders in a 911 call if her “honorary consul general” title affords her “diplomatic protection” from the media.
3. WHOM OBAMA IS LOBBYING TO AVOID THE ‘FISCAL CLIFF’
He is turning to business and labor groups to support his plan, which includes requiring the wealthy to pay more in taxes.
4. ACCUSER OF ELMO PUPPETEER RECANTS
As he now says their relationship was adult and consensual, the question is: Why did he initially allege there was teen sex?
5. HOW SYRIAN OPPOSITION HOPES TO STAY IN THE GAME
The selection of a moderate cleric as the group’s leader is an attempt to counter the growing influence of Islamic extremists in the rebellion against Assad.
6. A FLIGHT TO AN FAA SAFETY CONFERENCE ENDS TRAGICALLY
All three pilots aboard a single-engine plane are killed when it crashes into a Jackson, Miss., house.
7. STRIKES BREAK OUT ACROSS EUROPE
Workers are uniting to protest raging unemployment and factories shutting down.
8. HU STEPS DOWN AS CHINA’S LEADER
Vice President Xi Jinping will be presented as the Communist Party head when the new leadership is announced Thursday.
9. WHERE A VISIT TO THE DOCTOR COSTS $5
Patients line up outside Russell Dohner’s Rushville, Ill., practice where the 87-year-old physician won’t take insurance, just a five-spot.
10. MARLINS’ TRADE MEANS THREE STARS FOR BLUE JAYS
Florida decided last year’s spending spree didn’t work so Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Josh Johnson are all going to Toronto.