St. Charles fires serves as reminder to check smoke detectors - KMOV.com

St. Charles fires serves as reminder to check smoke detectors

(KMOV) – An overnight blaze Monday in St. Charles left a man and his two year old daughter dead.

The home had smoke detectors in each bedroom and one each in the basement and garage, but they weren’t enough to warn the entire family in time. 
 
According to the St. Charles Fire Department, modern fires spread quickly due to the synthetic products use in furniture and construction, and modern fires produce smoke that is much more toxic.  The combination of quickly spreading fires and highly toxic smoke means residents can quickly become overcome by smoke and flames.
 
Although the home burned in Monday night’s fire was equipped with smoke detectors, two were non-functional. 
 
According to St. Charles Fire Department officials, there should be a smoke detector in every bedroom, in the hallway outside the bedroom and at least one on each level of your home. They also say children need to be taught the alarms mean danger to prevent them from returning to bed after the alarms sound.

Powered by Frankly