LOS ANGELES -- Some teens are drinking hand sanitizer and ending up with alcohol poisoning, according to public health officials.
Six teens in Los Angeles were recently hospitalized after distilling hand sanitizer and drinking the 120-proof product.
"A person who has never had alcohol before can get drunk instantaneously. It is very, very dangerous," said Dr. Calvin Lowe, of Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.
Although there have been only a handful of cases, public health officials said the practice could easily become a larger problem.
Bottles of hand sanitizer are inexpensive and accessible, and teenagers can find distillation instructions on the Internet.
Illinois man charged in death of 2-year-old slammed against wall
Badly decomposed body found in Collinsville
Suit: Woman fired after donating kidney to boss
More than $1M found in armored car heist arrest
Police: Metro-East woman strikes officer in face during traffic stop