EDWARDSVILLE, Illinois (KMOV) -- Two female Southern Illinois University Edwardsville students who were seriously injured in a weekend fire at an off-campus residence have died.
Lauren Petersen, 19, and Lacy Siddall, 21, both of Bethalto, were in critical condition after an apartment fire at 648 Hillsboro Avenue in Edwardsville on Sunday.
On Monday morning, officials reported that both girls passed away as a result of injuries they suffered in the fire.
A next-door neighbor on Sunday observed the blaze and called emergency crews around 3:40 a.m. When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke coming from the second floor of the home. Once inside, firefighters found an active fire in one of the bedrooms and located two female victims in another room.
Both victims were rushed to Anderson Hospital, and later airlifted to St. Louis hospitals.
Officials said it appeared the cause of the fire was accidental. A preliminary investigation indicated that a laptop computer was resting on a bed and plugged into a power strip along with other electrical devices. Fire officials said this power strip may have been the point of origin for the fire, but stressed these findings are not necessarily conclusive.
A spokeperson for the Edwardsville City Fire Department said the older, two-story home had been renovated for apartments.
Fire officials said further details will be released within the week.
A prayer service will be held for Petersen and Siddall at the Center for Spirituality and Sustainability on Thursday at 6:15 p.m. The event is sponsored by the Catholic Campus Ministry.
Illinois man charged in death of 2-year-old slammed against wall
Teens distill hand sanitizer to get drunk
Badly decomposed body found in Collinsville
Suit: Woman fired after donating kidney to boss
More than $1M found in armored car heist arrest
Police: Metro-East woman strikes officer in face during traffic stop