Family of young girl nearly beaten to death wants swifter justic -

Family of young girl nearly beaten to death wants swifter justice

Posted: Updated:
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson

(KMOV)-- Family members of two-year-old Amanda Runyon say justice is taking too long in the near-fatal beating of the little girl.

No one could guess from watching Amanda that she was nearly beaten to death 9 months ago. But if her body has healed, her emotions have not. When News 4 walked into the room Monday, she drew back, worried that we might hurt her.

Her grandmother, Pam Runyon said, "Before this happened she was so outgoing, she would go to anybody, total strangers, didn't care if they were male or female, like her daddy she could talk to a fence post. Now she's expecially shy around men, sometimes even afraid."

Kraig Monroe, 24, is facing a felony charge for Aggravated Battery of a Child. Monroe has had numerous court appearances, but Monroe is free on bond while awaiting trial. Pam Runyon has attended all of his hearings and is growing impatient with delays.

"The status is still the same. Status just means he's out, and free to live his life, and Amanda's life is ever-changed," she said.
The state's attorney did not return News 4's calls.

Monroe's attorney told News 4 the case is complicated. He's still waiting on Amanda's medical records. In the meantime Monroe is on house arrest, wearing an ankle bracelet.

Amanda's dad still lives with the little girl in Kentucky. He's still hopeful the justice system won't let him down.

"I think he neds to go to jail. I can't say how long, but it would be nice if he'd at least admit it. he needs to go to jail," he told News 4.
Amanda's mother was arrested but not charged in this case. Kraig Monroe's next court hearing isn't until January 12th. It's another status conference.

His attorney told News 4 he doubts this case will go to trial before late spring, which will not be good news to little Amanda's family.

Powered by Frankly