Teen athlete dies in Jennings house fire, child and three adults - KMOV.com

Teen athlete dies in Jennings house fire, child and three adults injured

Posted: Updated:
This undated photo shows 19-year-old Tihra Devres, who was killed in a Jennings house fire early Sunday morning on November 21, 2010. By KMOV Web Producer This undated photo shows 19-year-old Tihra Devres, who was killed in a Jennings house fire early Sunday morning on November 21, 2010. By KMOV Web Producer
This November 21, 2010 photo shows a house in the 1900 block of Switzer in Jennings that caught fire just after 3 a.m. Sunday morning. One teen died in the fire and four others were injured. By KMOV Web Producer This November 21, 2010 photo shows a house in the 1900 block of Switzer in Jennings that caught fire just after 3 a.m. Sunday morning. One teen died in the fire and four others were injured. By KMOV Web Producer

(KMOV) – A 19-year-old college athlete died Sunday morning from injuries suffered in a house fire just after 3:15 a.m. in the 1900 block of Switzer in Jennings, officials say.

Four others were also injured.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, three adults, ages 80, 46 and 41, already jumped out of a second story window. Those adults were taken to Barnes Jewish Hospital. They are all listed in fair condition.

Two other people were still trapped inside.

Firefighters say they were able to rescue a 6-year-old Deven Williams who was taken to Children’s Hospital and then flown to a hospital in Cincinnati. He is critical condition and is being treated for severe burns that cover 60 percent of his body.

The 19-year-old victim, Tihra Devres, was found in a back bedroom upstairs.  She did not survive. Devres was a sophomore at Harris-Stowe State University, a setter on the volleyball team.

Her coach, Johnny Chittakhone, says she was a great kid who wanted to be a math teacher and give back to the community.

The Jennings Fire Department says it suspects a space heater caused the fire. Officials say there was a smoke detector in the basement, but not one on the first floor where the fire started. 
 

Powered by Frankly