HAMPTON—A family embraced their hero this Easter Sunday.
"I'm going to hug him, and tell him ‘thank God that he saved him,’” Gwendolyn Person said.
Around 5 p.m. Sunday, a fire broke out on the second floor of their home on Parkdale Avenue.
Neighbors say the man living there was locked inside, billowing smoke prevented him from grabbing the key upstairs. The man tried to escape out of a window on the ground floor, but he got stuck.
"He was over here calling my momma. She called me, and told me there was a fire across the street. I came to the front door, and I saw him trying to come out.” Eighteen year-old D’sean Le ran over and pulled the man out of the window to safety.
The man was taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation. Officials say he is expected to be fine.
The family says it was difficult to watch crews remove debris from the burned home. But they say the actions of a young man prevented a tragedy this holiday. "I'd do it for anybody, and I hope they'd do it for me,” Le said.