Local school safe again after carbon monoxide scare - KMOV.com

Local school safe again after carbon monoxide scare

Posted: Updated:
This March 8, 2011 photo taken from a News 4 newscast shows Jefferson Elementary school where a carbon monoxide scare caused an evacuation on Tuesday. By KMOV Web Producer This March 8, 2011 photo taken from a News 4 newscast shows Jefferson Elementary school where a carbon monoxide scare caused an evacuation on Tuesday. By KMOV Web Producer

ST. LOUIS (KMOV) -- The St. Louis Public Schools district says Jefferson Elementary is safe after carbon monoxide forced the students to evacuate for four hours on Tuesday.

The students spent several hours at a nearby church while crews fixed the problem.

The district says an employee noticed something wrong.

“When the custodian was checking into the building getting it ready for the day, the boiler was rattling and making noises, so he went down and noticed something wasn't right,” says SLPS communications director Patrick Wallace. “Again, you can't smell carbon monoxide so [he] didn't know exactly what it was.”

The district says there is a carbon monoxide detector in that boiler room. It was going off, but the noisy boiler was drowning out the alarm.

Powered by Frankly