U.S. Marshal shot in ankle makes progress in recovery at SLU - KMOV.com

U.S. Marshal shot in ankle makes progress in recovery at SLU

Posted: Updated:
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson

March 10, 9:30 a.m. -- Laura Keller, spokesperson at St. Louis University Hospital, reported that Marshal Theodore Abegg is still under the hospital's care and is still listed in fair condition. Keller added that Abegg has made tremendous strides in his recovery.

(KMOV) –St. Louis University Hospital spokesperson Laura Keller said U.S. Marshal Theodore Abegg is making tremendous strides in his recovery after being shot in the ankle during a south St. Louis gun battle.

Abegg was one of the eight officers who entered the home of felony warrant suspect, Carlos Boles.  One marshal was shot in the head, Abegg was shot in the ankle and a St. Louis police officer was treated for graze wounds.

 Abegg was taken to SLU Hospital where he underwent surgery.  Abegg, 31, has been with the U.S. Marshals for three years.


Officials reported around 8:30 p.m. that Deputy U.S. Marshal John Perry, 48, suffered a gunshot wound to the head and had died from his injury at St. Louis University Hospital. 

The shooting happened just before 7 a.m. Tuesday morning in the 3100 block of Osage in south St. Louis.

Carlos Boles, a felony warrant suspect, opened fire on eight law enforcement officials after they entered his St. Louis home early Tuesday morning.  One U.S. Marshal was killed, another U.S. Marshal and a St. Louis police officer were injured in the incident.

The department’s Violent Offenders Unit requested the assistance of U.S. Marshals as a precaution, due to information received that Boles could pose a threat to law enforcement officials. Boles was to be taken into custody on at-large warrants for 2nd Degree Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer, 3 counts of Possession of a Controlled Substance and Resisting Arrest. 

According to St. Louis Police Department Spokesperson Erica Van Ross, when two St. Louis City Police Officers and eight US Marshals arrived at the residence to take Boles into custody, they discovered several children inside the residence.  The children were escorted out of the home for their safety.  

Once the children were out of the home, police and US Marshals began a floor by floor, tactical search of the residence.  They found Boles on the second floor of the residence. Once discovered, Boles began shooting, injuring one US Marshal and the St. Louis City Police Officer.  Officers and Marshals returned fire.  The suspect continued to shoot, hitting a second US Marshal as law enforcement officials continued to return fire.  Law enforcement officials were able to shoot and kill Boles. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police previously arrested Boles five months ago for assaulting an officer, but he was released when the prosecutor decided there was not enough evidence to charge Boles. A month later, charges were filed, and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Boles had a long record – starting with an assault charge when he was 16. He had at least six felony convictions.


Deputy U.S. Marshal Theodore Abegg, was shot in the ankle and was listed in fair condition following surgery. Abegg, 31, has been with the U.S. Marshals for three years.


The police officer was taken to Barnes-Jewish hospital with a graze wound. He was alert and talking. Erica Van Ross, spokesperson for the St. Louis Police Department, says the officer's wounds are likely from fragments that hit him in the neck and face, which may have ricocheted off his bullet-proof vest. He was treated and released.

The officer, in his late 50s, has been with St. Louis City Police for 34 years. The police officer is detached to the violent offenders' unit and has been working with the Marshal's office for several years.

Families of the law enforcement officers involved gathered at both hospitals, as did city police, fire and other officials.


United States Attorney Richard Callahan made the following statement regarding the shootings that occurred in St. Louis early Tuesday morning.
“On behalf of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Missouri, I want to extend our prayers and heartfelt condolences to the families of the three law enforcement officers who were the victims in this mornings shootings.  This tragedy is but another reminder of the ever present truth that for the men and women on whom we depend to keep our streets safe, each and every day on the job can be their last.  We work with them, we honor their sacrifice, and we share in their grief.”  


Powered by Frankly