(KMOV) -- A man and a woman were found dead following a house fire Wednesday afternoon in the 5200 block of Wilson in south St. Louis.
The St. Louis fire chief reports the flame likely started Tuesday night. It smoldered and burned itself out and went unnoticed until the landlord stopped by late Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities said the landlord, Maria Schulte, checked on the house and noticed the windows were blackened with soot and called the fire department.
Firefighters arrived and found that there was a fire inside the house, but it burned itself out sometime within the last 24 hours. The bodies of a man and 38-year-old Allison Garcia were found inside the home. Schulte said the man was in his 40s and was a long-time tenant. Authorities said it appears that they died of smoke inhalation.
Authorities have not yet released the male’s names. They have not been able to reach his family.
Investigators said nothing criminal is suspected and they are waiting on test results to come back before determining the cause of the fire.