Teen Says He Suffered Electric Shock on Walk Home - KMOV.com

Teen Says He Suffered Electric Shock on Walk Home

A 17 year old Imperial boy is recovering from 2nd degree burns to his right leg after he says, he stepped on or near a pedestal that houses underground electrical equipment.

Jake Young says he was walking home from a friend's house through a patch of grass along Westward Trails late Wednesday night when he felt a jolt of electricity.  The shock singed his shorts and Jake says he picked himself back up and walked another half mile to his home.

His mother called for an ambulance and Jake spent one night in the burn unit at the hospital.

An Ameren UE spokesman tells me that a lid on the pedestal was removed and is missing.  He says there appeared to be damage to the pedestal and the utility company is investigating what happened to the original cover.  The lids are typically held in place by nylon rivets and are not easily removed.

Ameren UE has replaced and re-secured the pedestal.

We'll follow up with the power company to find out the latest on the investigation.

We'll also check back with Jake's family.  He has another appointment with doctors in the burn unit next week to determine if his leg sustained any nerve damage.

Diana Zoga is a general assignment reporter at News4.  You can reach her at dzoga@kmov.com or follow her on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DIANAZOGA

Powered by Frankly