SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- Prosecutors have dropped the main charge against two Saudi Arabian men accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a woman in Springfield, prompting a judge to significantly reduce their combined $2 million bond.
The charge of forcible sodomy was dropped in early January after the Missouri Supreme Court refused to review a Greene County judge's ruling in August that prosecutors did not have enough evidence to support the charge.
Rayan Mohammed A Alqabbaa, 21, and Ahmed Ayed A Alanaz, 27, are still charged with kidnapping and deviate sexual behavior after a woman said they kidnapped her from a nightclub in June and took her to an apartment, where she said she was assaulted, The Springfield News-Leader reported. They are scheduled to go on trial Feb. 3.
When the men, who were students at Missouri State University, were originally charged, their bond was set at $1 million each. The Saudi Arabian government paid that amount in December. After the state Supreme Court declined to review the lower court ruling, Greene County Judge Calvin Holden reduced the bond to $100,000 each and said the Saudi Arabian consulate would get a $1.8 million refund, according to court documents.
Holden also ruled the men would no longer be held under house arrest but have a nightly curfew from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
A cab driver who picked the men and woman up from the nightclub told police he was suspicious about how the woman was being treated. Police said when they entered a Springfield apartment, they found the woman partially clothed, crying, vomiting and asking for help.
She told investigators she had been abducted from Zan nightclub and that someone might have put something in her drink.
The suspects' attorneys say surveillance footage from the nightclub contradicts some of the woman's account