Officer killed in south St. Louis car crash -

Officer killed in south St. Louis car crash

Posted: Updated:
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs

(KMOV) -- A St. Louis police officer is dead after an accident in south St. Louis.

The St. Louis Police Department confirms that just before 10 a.m., police received a call for a burglary in progress in the 5400 block of Bancroft.

The victim walked into the residence and discovered the suspect inside. The victim and suspect exchanged words before the suspect was able to exit the residence and get into a vehicle. The victim tried to follow the suspect, but the suspect sped off too quickly and the victim lost sight of him.

The victim was able to describe the suspect as a black male with two gold teeth wearing a dark colored shirt. The suspect's vehicle was described as a dark colored Hyundai Sonata.

Officers were able to locate the suspect vehicle, but then lost sight of it. Officer David Haynes later spotted the vehicle. He turned on his lights and siren in an attempt to stop the suspect vehicle but the suspect continued and did not pull over.

The officer continued to follow the suspect vehicle going northbound on south Kingshighway when the patrol car was struck by a GMC Jimmy that had been traveling westbound on Oleatha. The impact caused the patrol car to spin out and into a Nissan Xterra that was sitting in a southbound lane of South Kingshighway. The Nissan Xterra was then pushed backwards into a Ford Focus.

There were three people in the GMC Jimmy. Two of them, a 21-year-old female driver and a 23-year-old male passenger, were both taken to a hospital and both listed in stable condition. The third person, a one-year-old boy, had no injuries, but was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

There was one person in the Nissan Xterra, a 28-year-old male. He was not injured.

There was one person in the Ford Focus, a 23-year-old male. He was not injured.

Officer Haynes was trapped in his patrol vehicle for a short time but once he was able to be removed, he was rushed to Barnes Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Four people, in the other three involved vehicles were injured, but their injuries are believed to be non-life threatening.

The suspect's vehicle has since been recovered. The recovery location was not released at this time.

Police Officer David Haynes was 27 years old and was a one-year veteran of the department. He graduated from the St. Louis Police Academy in January of 2009. Prior to joining the Department he was a United States Marine. He recently received a Chief's Letter of Commendation for his actions following a June of 2009 bank robbery. In that incident, Officer Haynes and a fellow officer were able to locate the suspect based on the description given by witnesses. The suspect ran on foot but Officer Haynes and another officer ultimately caught him. Officer Haynes, who was recently married, leaves behind his wife, his mother and many other family members and friends.


For breaking news alerts, text KMOVNEWS to 21321


Have you seen the forecast for tomorrow?
Get the latest St. Louis weather forecast on Facebook


Powered by Frankly