(KMOV) -- A family is safe and a baby is out of the hospital after the father and neighbor rescued the one-year-old from a burning house in north St. Louis overnight.
Neighbors say they heard a boom just before 4:30 a.m. and the home located in the 5900 block of Theodore caught on fire. Firefighters confirmed within a couple of hours an electrical malfunction caused the fire.
The family made it out of the house safely except for the one-year-old, Michael Nelson. A neighbor, Kenneth Parker helped the baby's father save his son.
Parker told News 4, "I heard some screaming out here so I came outside... They said the baby was still in there. The fire was blocking the front door... We ran in the back, I lifted the father up, he pushed the air conditioner and pulled the baby out."
For breaking news alerts, text KMOVNEWS to 21321
Have you seen the forecast for tomorrow?
Get the latest St. Louis weather forecast