BLOOMINGTON, Ill. (AP) -- A retired central Illinois firefighter has put out what he's probably hoping will be his last blaze -- at his own home.
Marty Hoeniges found the fire in his basement Saturday and immediately used a fire extinguisher to put it out.
He then called the Bloomington Fire Department, his former employer, for backup.
Fire officials say clothes that were stacked too close to a water heater caused the fire. Firefighters carried smoldering materials out of the home.
No injuries were reported, and the house sustained minimal smoke damage.
The 73-year-old Hoeniges credits his home's smoke detector and fire extinguisher for saving the day.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)