Aura’s Traditional Potato Latkes
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup oil, canola or peanut
1. Using the grating disc of your food processor grate the potatoes and the onion.
2. Remove the shredded potatoes and onions and put them into a mesh colander sitting over a large bowl.
3. Change the blade of the food processor to the chopping blade. Put most of the shredded potatoes and onions into the work bowl of the food processor and pulse until you have a smooth texture.
4. Put the mixture back into the colander over the bowl and press down to help the potatoes release their liquid.
5. Remove the colander from the bowl and you will see the liquid from the potatoes with the starch settled at the bottom. Pour off the water being careful to save the potato starch.
6. Put the potato-onion mixture into the bowl with the potato starch, add the egg, salt and pepper, and mix well.
7. Pour the oil into a large frying pan and heat to medium high. Place a wooden chopstick into the oil and when bubbles form around it you know the oil is the right temperature for frying.
8. Carefully drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil. Let the latkes cook for about 3 minutes until golden and then flip and cook on the other side.
9. Remove them from the pan and place on paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with applesauce or sour cream. Makes 18 latkes.