Man injured when mobile phone explodes - KMOV.com

Man injured when mobile phone explodes

Posted: Updated:
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs

 

 A man in Dallas was rushed to the hospital after his mobile phone apparently exploded, Thursday morning. WFAA-TV reports the man said he was talking on the phone when he heard a loud pop. His ear began to bleed.

These cases are not unheard of.

Most phones use a lithium-ion battery. They are powerful and small, but also need to be treated with care.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission and CTIA-The Wireless Association put out a list of guidelines to prevent mobile phone injuries.

See the guidelines:  www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05174.html

The U.S. Department of Transportation also recommended that travelors take special care with lithium-ion batteries, used in laptop computers:  safetravel.dot.gov/

A spokesperson for The Consumer Product Safety Commission says industry standards have improved over the years. The circuit boards inside newer batteries have a safety function built in so that if a battery short-circuits, it won't necessarily overheat and catch fire.

Still, the spokeperson said the guidelines put out in 2005 still apply to mobile phone users in 2010.

Powered by Frankly