Suspect who led chase through downtown St. Louis turns himself i -

Suspect who led chase through downtown St. Louis turns himself in

Posted: Updated:
By Sarah Heath By Sarah Heath
By John Bailey By John Bailey
By Sarah Heath By Sarah Heath

(KMOV) – Authorities say a suspect who led officers on a bi-state chase that had police cruisers swerving around downtown St. Louis traffic Tuesday afternoon has turned himself in.

Police say the suspect turned himself into Belleville police around 8 a.m. Wednesday. Cahokia police took custody of the suspect and were interviewing him.

Charges against him were pending.

According to Illinois State Police, officers attempted to stop the suspect by the Clinton and St. Clair County line on Tuesday, but officers were forced to terminate the pursuit due to the high-speed risk.

Click here to see photos of the chase

Authorities say just moments before they took chase, the suspect tried plowing into one of his officers as he laid out spike strips.

“Swerved and the officer was right there, we are lucky he wasn’t struck,” said Cahokia Police Chief James Jones. 

Officers with ISP said the suspect continued west until he was spotted by DuPo Police, who then picked up the pursuit on Route 3 near Monsanto.

At least half dozen police cars chased the suspect down from Illinois onto Memorial Street near the Gateway Arch. A News 4 camera caught several officers as they raced down the sidewalks in order to avoid slamming into traffic during the pursuit.

Caught on camera: Police drive on city sidewalks during pursuit

“It is crazy seeing a police chase right in front of me,” said Spencer Holloman who saw a part of the chase Tuesday. 

Illinois State Police officials say the suspect bailed from the vehicle by the Hotel Jefferson parking garage at 13th and St. Charles. The suspect then fled on foot into the Shell Building at 13th and Locust Avenue. Officers are actively searching for the man now. 

“He gets out of his car, runs under the rope and runs that way, and we hear all the police sirens so we knew it was something bad,” Holloman said. 

With so many people on the streets, the decision to chase him over the river and into downtown was made very carefully.

“We wanted to apprehend him to make sure our public is safe,” said Chief Jones.

Despite a thorough search after the crash, the suspect gave them the slip.

Police say there was a passenger in that car who was arrested at the scene, so they knew who the suspect was.

Powered by Frankly