(KMOV) – A man is in the hospital after firefighters rescued him from a burning south St. Louis home early Tuesday morning.
Firefighters responded to a home in the 2800 block of Victor around 2:15 a.m. Upon their arrival, a man told them his son was trapped inside.
Crews forced their way in and found the man barely breathing about 10 feet from the door. They say it appeared he was trying to get out, but was overcome by smoke. He was taken to the hospital in serious condition.
Capt. Gregg Favre tells News 4 they believe the victim was smoking when he accidentally sparked the fire.
“Couches don’t normally spontaneously combust. So if you see heavy charring, heavy damage around where the person was sitting, then generally a cause that was a point of origin,” said Favre. “And then you start eliminating sources. If they weren’t doing hot welding there, what were they doing?”
Officials say the victim’s father lived in an upstairs unit. Authorities say the victim's apartment did not have working smoke detectors.
It was the second consecutive day St. Louis firefighters rescued someone from a fire. On Monday, a 90-year-old woman was hospitalized after crews found her in a burning home in the 2400 block of Whittier around 3:30 a.m.