SUV hits utility pole, slams into St. Charles building causing g - KMOV.com

SUV hits utility pole, slams into St. Charles building causing gas leak

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

(KMOV)-- Two people were injured Sunday morning when an SUV hit a utility pole and the slammed into a building in St. Charles, severing a gas meter.

Emergency crews responded to a report of a vehicle accident in the 400 block of North Kingshighway just after 8:30 Sunday morning.  The vehicle was an SUV that had struck a utility pole and then plowed into a house, severing the gas meter from the home.

Firefighters were unable to access the area safely to stop the leaking gas.  According to officials, the gas had filled the residence to an explosive level. 

Fire crews and police officers were forced to evacuate a one block area around the home, approximately 17 residents, as a Laclede Gas workers attempted to stop the leak.  Firefighters also shut down the roadway and deployed several supply hoses and handlines in case of an explosion and fire.

Crews acted quickly to evacuate the home and treat the two male victims inside the SUV.  The two victims sustained moderate injuries and were transported to St. Joseph Health Center in St. Charles.  Two occupants inside the home at the time of the accident escaped injury.

Union Electric crews stood by to repair the utility pole that had been severed from the ground in the accident.  They were unable to attempt any repairs until the gas leak was fixed.

The leak was eventually stopped around 10:30 a.m.  Firefighters were then able to enter the home and ventilate the fumes. 

Residents were allowed to return to their homes without incident.

One police officer was transported to St. Joseph Health Center for treatment after complaining of feeling ill from exposure to gas fumes.

The residence is owned by Lindenwood University and was condemned by the City of St. Charles Building Department.  The impact moved the home off of it's foundation.

Union Electric and Laclede gas representatives remained on the scene to repair the damage to the gas line and the utility pole.
 

Powered by Frankly