2 Girls rescued from burning Missouri home - KMOV.com

2 Girls rescued from burning Missouri home

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- Two girls rescued from a burning Springfield home are hospitalized in critical condition.

The Springfield News-Leader reported that the 5-year-old and 8-year-old suffered smoke inhalation and burns Saturday. But Fire Chief David Hall says he is "optimistic" that the girls will recover.

A paramedic who was one of the first people to arrive was able to rescue one of the girls. But afterward, he had to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to find the second girl in a bed.

The girls' mother and grandmother also were taken to a hospital. Both adults were out of the house when firefighters arrived.

Fire Marshal Ben Basham says the fire was caused by a short in a clothing-covered extension cord, which was plugged into a space heater.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly