Quick thinking by SIUE Police Officer Dan Murphy plus diligent work
by local firefighters helped to contain a potentially deadly fire
that broke out around midnight at the Cougar Village apartments.
No one was injured and investigators do not suspect foul play, SIUE
spokesperson Greg Conroy said Monday morning.
Initial indicators and burn patterns indicate that the fire started
in the attic or roof of Apartment 529 and spread downward, said
Edwardsville Fire Chief Brian Wilson.
Exactly what sparked the fire has not yet been determined, Wilson
Thunderstorms moving through the area knocked out power to Cougar
Village from about 4 p.m. on Sunday until after 4 a.m. on Monday.
Read full story at