Woman poisoned while using gas range to heat home - KMOV.com

Woman poisoned while using gas range to heat home

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- The weather is starting to get cooler in St. Louis and one woman learned the hard way how dangerous it is to heat your home with your gas stove/oven.  The woman was poisoned with carbon monoxide and rushed to the hospital.

The woman called a neighbor complaining that she didn’t feel well on Monday afternoon.  The neighbor came to her home in the 1600 block of Hornsby and immediately called 911.  Paramedics rushed her to the hospital and discovered she had carbon monoxide poisoning.

Captain Dan Sutter with the St. Louis Fire Department says this exactly why you should never use your gas stove/oven to heat your home.

“Carbon monoxide is an oderless, colorless gas,” said Sutter. “It is poisonous. It accumulates and can build up in your system.  You can become very ill up to and including dying.”

The St. Louis Fire Department will give city residents a carbon monoxide detector and install it for free.  Call 314-289-1905 or 314-533-3406.

 

Powered by Frankly