Peralta out to prove he simply made a mistake with PEDs
St. Louis Cardinals new shortstop Jhonny Peralta speaks to reporters during the St. Louis Cardinals Winter Warm-up in St. Louis on January 18, 2014. UPI/Bill Greenblatt By UPI/ Bill Greenblatt
By John Bailey
New Cardinals shortstop Jhonny Peralta knows he has a lot of work to do to repair his image in the eyes of Major League Baseball. He was suspended for 50 games last year for violating the league’s policy on PEDs.
After signing a 4-year contract with the Cards this offseason, he’s ready to show people he’s not a bad guy.
“I want to show to the fans and (my teammates) that (I made a mistake),” Peralta said. “I know I can play baseball. I know I did something wrong and I feel really bad but I’m out to show people that I can do it and I can help.”
The Cards did not have much of a choice in upgrading shortstop. Daniel Descalso and Pete Kozma both hit barely over .200 a year ago so adding Peralta’s .303 average and .358 on-base percentage is a welcomed sight.
“I knew the Cardinals needed somebody to play shortstop,” Peralta said. “And offense is the more important thing for them right now. I had a couple opportunities to go to a different place but I decided to come here. It’s good to play (in St. Louis).”
As long as he hits, there’s little doubt he’ll be embraced in the clubhouse and in the city.