(KMOV)-- A family is safe after escaping from an early morning fire in their mobile home, but the flames destroyed all of their possessions. It happened around 3:30 a.m. in the 300 block of Elizabeth Avenue in East Carondolet, IL. Kim and Craig Hunsaker and their three children were living in the home, along with his mother and sister.
It's either a coincidence or a Christmas miracle that the grandmother and children woke up in the middle of the night, after falling asleep on the couch watching movies earlier in the evening. When the awoke, the smelled smoke and alerted the rest of the family.
By the time everyone got out, the flames had already climbed up the walls and were traveling across the ceiling. Everyone escaped in only their pajamas and bare feet.
The flames destroyed everything they owned, including the children's Christmas presents under the tree. None of it was covered by insurance. Recovering will be difficult because Craig hasn't been able to find work since he was laid off earlier in the year.
A woman living in the home was awake at the time and alerted everyone about the fire.
If you would like help the Hunsaker's children have a Christmas and help this family get back on their feet, call 618-798-1654.
You can also stop by the Dupo Quarterback Club at 1625 Bluffview Drive in Dupo, Illinois Christmas morning to drop off toys to the children.
The Red Cross is providing the five adults and three children of the family with food and shelter.