Man loses prosthetic leg in Normandy apartment fire - KMOV.com

Man loses prosthetic leg in Normandy apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

(KMOV) -- He's a man with a big smile. He has a great perspective on life even though the odds are currently stacked against him.

Roderick Mitchell's life's possessions were wiped out after a powerful fire. You name it, he lost.  Mitchell lived at the Norwood Court Apartments in Normandy for ten years. That's until witnesses say someone who lived there fell asleep while cooking. That mistake left 40 people homeless - including Mitchell.

Just a few hours after the fire I talked to Mitchell. I found him at Depaul Hospital. Doctors were treating him for smoke inhalation. As he tried to recover, I talked to him about his terrible day. During our conversation, l learned that Roderick lost more than his home. He lost something you and I take for granted each morning we wake up and put two feet on the ground.

He lost his artificial leg. It was burned to ashes during the fire. The prosthesis cost $2,000. After insurance pays, the bill the dwindles to $2,000. However,  that price is still too steep for Mitchell. That is why his family and friends have created a fund to help Mitchell raise the money.

You can help by donating to Mitchell's fund. It's called, the Roderick Mitchell Fund. You can make a  donation at the Alliance Credit Union. The phone number  there is 636-343-7005.  

 

 

 

Powered by Frankly