Kirkwood daycare worker accidentally drops medicine bottle in ki -

Kirkwood daycare worker accidentally drops medicine bottle in kids' sandbox

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

 (KMOV) – Parents are frightened for their kid’s safety after a local school district said young children may have ingested prescription pills on a playground.

News 4 spoke with some parents who said the notification that went out in Kirkwood Wednesday did not give them enough information to make sure their kids were 100-percent safe.

 “This should not have happened,” said Kirkwood Superintendent Dr. Tom Williams.

Williams says the district’s policies were violated Wednesday when a Kirkwood early childhood center employee brought a non-child safe medicine container onto the playground.

“It was just in a medicine bottle, container, it somehow slipped out of her pocket on the ground.”

A half an hour went by before kids between the ages of 3 and 5 were found playing with the bottle.

The school took action, launching an investigation and notifying parents.

“Although we believe through student interviews and video, we believe the pills were dumped and not ingested, we cannot be 100% certain of this,” said a voice on the recording sent home to parents.

Parents were warned to look for any symptoms. The trouble, the district can’t say what drugs may have been ingested.

“I mean there were several different kinds, in that bottle,” said Dr. Williams. “So you don’t know exactly what drugs were on the playground?” asked Reporter Lauren Trager. “No, I don’t know that,” Dr. Williams said. 

Nor do they know if all the pills have been accounted for.  Dr. Williams assures the playground will be closed until they guarantee safety.

“We are going to review all our policies to make sure this doesn’t happen again,” said Dr. Williams.

The employee who dropped the pills has been placed on administrative leave.

Powered by Frankly