Officials: Man smoking in bed causes St. Louis County apartment - KMOV.com

Officials: Man smoking in bed causes St. Louis County apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
By Brendan Marks By Brendan Marks
By Zach Dalin By Zach Dalin

(KMOV.com) – Authorities say smoking is mostly likely to blame for an apartment fire in Overland that sent a man to the hospital early Monday morning.

Officials say the fire started in the 5000 block of Kalen Dr. in the Woodson Park apartment complex around 12 a.m.

Crews responded to the scene and found flames coming from a bedroom window. They went inside and removed a man from the apartment. He was transported to the hospital in critical condition.

Authorities say the fire is believed to have started because the man was smoking in bed. The apartment did not have any working some detectors, according to officials.

News 4 photographers on the scene noted the back room of the apartment sustained heavy damage.  

Additional information was not immediately available. 

Powered by Frankly