Officer shot, suspect killed in Farmington -

Officer shot, suspect killed in Farmington

Posted: Updated:
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer

(KMOV) -- An officer was wounded and a suspect was killed early Monday morning in Farmington, Missouri after authorities said a man barricaded himself inside an apartment and then pointed a gun at police officers.

The shooting happened just after midnight on Monday near the intersection of Karsh Boulevard and Washington Street in the parking lot of U.S.A. Drug.

Authorities confirm one officer from St. Francois County was shot in the leg, but has non life-threatening injuries.  Callion Hamblin, a 32-year-old man from Farmington, was shot and killed.  
Police said they received a call from a bail bondsman who told them a suspect he was checking on had barricaded himself inside an apartment building located on Old Fredericktown Road.

Officers responded to the scene and saw the suspect run from the apartment complex and fire a weapon.  The bond agent and the officer lost sight of the suspect, but they were able to locate him after enlisting the help of AT&T.  

The wireless provider was able to ping the suspect's cell phone and triangulate the suspect's location.  With that information, officers determined the suspect was at a drugstore about mile-and-a-half away from the original scene.

When officers saw the suspect at the drugstore, he took off running and officers gave chase.  During the chase, the suspect pointed his gun at the pursuing officers.  Police drew their weapons and a gun battle ensued.  During the shooting, a St. Francois County deputy was shot in a leg and the suspect was killed.

The deputy was taken to an area hospital for treatment.

The suspect, whose name is not being released at this time, did have a felony warrant for possession and authorities said they had been looking for him for roughly three weeks.

St. Francois County Sheriff's Department and the Missouri Highway Patrol are now investigating the shooting.  A witness, who heard the shots, said that he heard around 12 to 17 shots and described them as explosions.

Statement from AT&T:


"AT&T works with law enforcement as required by law, and takes its obligation to assist law enforcement very seriously.  We're also committed to protecting the privacy of customer data. We have established procedures for responding to requests to provide location information during emergencies.  They specifically provide that such information may be provided to law enforcement in an emergency situation that involves the risk of death or serious harm, provided that they will certify that an emergency situation exists."


Powered by Frankly