(CBS/AP) A former high school football star whose rape conviction was thrown out last week told ESPN that several NFL teams have called him and he already has a tryout scheduled next month.
Brian Banks, who spent five years in prison after pleading no contest to rape before a judge threw out the conviction last week, told ESPN columnist Rick Reilly that he has a workout scheduled with the Seattle Seahawks on June 7. He said the Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins have also contacted him about a possible workout.
“I’ll make ‘em happy,” Banks told Reilly. “After all I’ve been through these last 10 years, I can still do some things that will impress you.”
Banks, once a star middle linebacker at Long Beach Polytechnic High School, had attracted the interest of such college football powerhouses as the University of Southern California, Ohio State University and the University of Michigan, according to the website Rivals.com, which tracks the recruiting of high school football and basketball players.
Banks said he had verbally agreed to attend USC on a scholarship when he was arrested. Former USC coach Pete Carroll is now the head coach of the Seahawks.
Last week Banks said he still hopes to play professional football - although the odds may be stacked against him.
Gil Brandt, an NFL draft consultant, said last week that Bank’s years away from the game will be hard to overcome.
“History tells us guys who come back after one or two years away when they go into the service find it awfully hard,” Brandt said. “And this has been much longer a time.”
Brandt compared the challenge to someone who has been out of high school for years trying to get an A in their first class in college.
Banks said he is ready for the challenge.
“I think that any team that gives me an opportunity will be really impressed with what I can do despite all of what I’ve been through these past 10 years,” Banks said.