BALLWIN, Mo. (KMOV.com) -- Officials say two police officers suffered smoke inhalation while responding to a house fire that left two residents injured, one critically.
The fire broke out at 117 Coral Terrace around 9:15 p.m.
Ballwin police say officers Nathan Jaeger and Mike Hitchcock were injured while working to rescue others trapped in the blaze. One officer reportedly suffered cuts while breaking windows to ventilate the residence. Both were treated for the injuries and released.
Fire officials said an 85-year-old woman was rescued from her bedroom, but suffered serious injury from smoke inhalation, as well as second and third-degree burns. She is listed in critical condition.
The woman's husband was reportedly at home at the time of the fire, and first noticed the blaze. He alerted neighbors, who then called fire crews to the scene.
Officials say the man escaped the fire, but his wife remained trapped in an upstairs bedroom.
The woman's husband was also hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
Metro West fire officials said an electrical problem with a VCR in the bedroom likely sparked the blaze.