Neighbor saves Christmas gifts from fire - KMOV.com

Neighbor saves Christmas gifts from fire

Posted: Updated:

ATLANTA (CBS46) - When Jevaris Johnson saw his neighbor's home in flames, he did not stop to think about his own safety.

"We didn't know if anybody was in there or not," Johnson said.

Johnson and another neighbor rushed inside the home on Glenaire way fearing the worst. "A little panic," Johnson said.

The fire broke out about 1 a.m. in the attic of a home on Glenaire Way. No one was home at the time, but the Christmas gifts for the family's children were about to burn up. "The first thing that popped into my head was just save something," Johnson said.

Johnson and the other neighbor grabbed all the Christmas gifts they could and rushed outside.

"It really didn't seem dangerous but it seemed like the right thing to do to help the kids," Johnson said.

Dantika Young, the homeowner, was visiting family when the flames broke out. She lost almost all of her belongings.

"It could've been worse," Young said.

At least her good Samaritan neighbors saved Christmas for her kids.

"Words cannot express how thankful  we are for everything the neighborhood is doing," said Young, who called her neighbors heroic.

"No, I'm just a good neighbor," said Johnson, who added that he is just happy he could rescue at least some shred of happiness for his neighbors on Christmas day.

Although the fire was confined to the attic, there was heavy water and smoke damage throughout the home.

Investigators say the fire appears to be accidental.

No one was injured.



Powered by Frankly