BALLWIN, Mo. (KMOV)—Fire crews were called to a home in unincorporated St. Louis County near Ballwin after a fire broke out in a basement bedroom early Wednesday morning.
Fire crews were called to the home at 10 Rainfield Court around 4: 30 a.m. According to fire officials, Amanda Schmidt, 20, woke up to a loud boom in her basement bedroom. She told authorities she saw flames and immediately ran upstairs to alert her family.
Schmidt's twin sisters, father and another person were able to make it out of the home without injury.
A team of 17 West County firefighters arrived on the scene a short time later and contained the blaze.
Chief Ernie Rhodes said, "The fire was a 'good fire' with lots of flames in the basement."
Officials are looking into the cause of the fire and believe it may have been electrical. A dehumidifier was reportedly sitting on its cord and the vibration of the machine caused friction which ultimately may have ingnited the fire.
Officials said the home suffered extensive smoke damage, but is not considered a total loss.
Amanda Schmidt is being called a hero for saving her family.