(KMOV) -- A piece of St. Louis history is getting a makeover, along with a new name.
The historic Kiel Opera House will now be known as the Peabody Opera House. That name was unveiled today at a news conference at the long-closed venue.
Several dignitaries were on hand for the official unveiling including St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay and Blues owner Dave Checketts.
It's full official name is now the "Peabody Opera House at Henry Kiel Auditorium." Its first show is tentatively slated for Fall of next year.
Kiel Opera House and the adjacent Kiel auditorium closed in 1991 and was slated to be demolished during the construction of the Scottrade Center (then known as the Kiel Center). The building was saved from the wrecking ball when its owners promised to rehab the aging building.
That deal fell through, and the opera house has been empty ever since. Last year, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen voted to subsidize it's renovation under the direction of its new owners.
The Kiel Opera House first opened its doors in 1934. Among its notable events was the first and only televised performance by The Rat Pack 31 years later. Johnny Carson filled in for Joey Bishop and joined Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. on stage.