Longtime residents of Centreville, Quenell and Sheila Gladney, are homeless tonight. Their home burned Saturday morning.
A vacant home next door caught on fire, and the flames spread to the Gladneys home. Mr. Gladney said all he could do is stand and watch it burn.
The Gladneys say they'd been trying to get the city of Centreville to clean up that adjacent property for years, to no avail. I tried to get reaction from city hall, but it was closed due to the holiday.
Delinquent property is a problem in many of our communities, and this is a perfect example of what can happen. The Gladneys had maintained their property, but it didn't matter.
The Gladneys from the Centreville fire story have set up a trust fund for donations.
Quenell Gladney Fund
Catholic Credit Commercial Union
6100 West Main Street