PLATTE CITY, Mo. (AP) -- An 11-year-old girl has suffered severe injuries in a fireworks accident inside her northwest Missouri home.
The St. Joseph News-Press reports the girl was flown to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City for treatment. The girl's name was not released.
Platte City Police Chief Carl Mitchell says police received a call at 12:24 a.m. Sunday about a fireworks accident in the kitchen of the girl's home.
Mitchell says the explosion occurred as the girl was removing a type of fireworks known as Black-Eyed Peas from the packaging and placing them in a bowl for later use. The blast caused extensive damage to the interior of the kitchen.
Platte City Police and the Missouri State Fire Marshal's office are investigating.
Information from: St. Joseph News-Press, http://www.stjoenews-press.com
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)